Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Where to start

To be honest, I am not one hundred percent sure where this blog will take me, or where it will take you.  There are so many avenues of thought that I possess on this subject, I am not sure where to start.  I guess I'll just start here:

Transferring.

I am not talking about jobs, houses, spouses or children.  I am talking about colleges.  It is what I do for a fantastic university, Truman State University in Kirksville, MO.

Old-school thoughts and processes tell students that when they graduate from high school, they should choose a college, pick a major, graduate in four years and get a job.  This is coming from the same school of thought that tells us that we should stay in that job until we retire, collect our pensions (oh wait, those don't exists anymore), and live out the rest of our lives on the country club, in Florida or traveling the world.

Today, not only do we not worry about changing jobs after we graduate, many students plan on, or at least end up, attending multiple schools to receive the degree(s) of their choice.  Often this is out of necessity as the cost of a higher education continues to rise, but sometimes it seems as though we have pressured these students into making choices they are not ready to make.  This leaves the student taking an alternate route in higher education that provides them with some time to think about what they want to do and who they want to be.

There are a lot of these students out in the world right now.  To be honest, I love these students.  (If you're one of them, I am sorry we haven't met.)  They provide me with inspirations, motivation and reason to get up early (or stay up really late).  It may take me a while, but I want to provide a space where students can learn about how to be an effective transfer student.  Who to talk with about a subject, what you should ask and maybe what you shouldn't.  When you should think about transferring, and when you shouldn't.  Maybe no one will ever read this, and maybe it will become the big thing to read (I'm serious, there are a lot of transfer students, don't judge) but I hope that if you find this page and find it interesting, you'll stick around because you never know when it might happen that you or someone you know might just become "A Transfer."

No comments:

Post a Comment